Hey Everyone, my name's Steven and I LOVE swing music!

Hey Everyone, my name's Steven and I LOVE swing music!

Steven
Hey everyone,

I found this site by chance while searching for a Jo Stafford album.

I LOVE swing music or the slightly ballady stuff from 1930s to 1960-ish.

Frank Sinatra, Jo Stafford, Helen O'Connell, Eddie Fisher, Judy Garland, Vic Damone, Perry Como, etc. etc.

I also like the singers of nowadays who do this sort of big-band music like Seth MacFarlane & Harry Connick Jr.

I also like the English Music Hall music with the "modernised-at-the-time" orchestras like the Vera Lynn Hits of the Blitz part I and II or the album where Julie Andrews did in 1962 with the ridiculously long title: 'Don't Go In The Lion's Cage Tonight And Other Heartrending Ballads And Raucous Ditties' or the soundtrack from her movie 'Star'.

One thing I have difficulty finding are the artists who record in languages not in English.

For example, I recently found an EP from a collaboration of Nana Mouskouri and Michel Legrand by luck made I think in 1965-ish that had music that I also like because it resembled music from the American style big-band era. But it's difficult to find music like this because the titles are written in other languages so it's not something I can just type up on Google and find.

Another example is Alice Babs. I only found out who she is because I was listening to Duke Ellington and an unnamed vocalist started singing in the recording and I liked her voice so I researched who the vocalist was and found out who she was and discovered she recorded a few albums. But even then finding recordings from non-English speakers is much more difficult. Especially for this type of music.

Does anyone have any artist recommendations for this genre of music that I may not have heard of that you think I may enjoy? If so, please do tell!

I've requested a few albums/records but I've also contributed to a fair share of requests.

Anyways I think I'm rambling too much now, but I hope we can keep this relationship up. Thanks for the fine music. :)

~ Steven

Re: Hey Everyone, my name's Steven and I LOVE swing music!

Gerard
This post was updated on .

Re: Hey Everyone, my name's Steven and I LOVE swing music!

Steven
Wow thanks Gerard! I will certainly enjoy discovering the selection you've given. Only one I've heard of from the selection you've given is Caterina Valente so lots of new artists to discover.